This is my second regiment of the 10th brigade. It was not part of the original collection, though many of the figures were (as part of the Kings German Legion, that has the same blue facings as the 4th). So what I had to do in addition to rebase the figures was to paint a rather substantial amount of new heads with the Belgish Shako and also replace the colors, which I have bought from GMB Designs (http://www.salespartners.co.uk/). I have to thoroughly recommend GMB, not only for of their exceptional quality but also for of their congenial customer service. In fact the colors have arrived only four days after I had ordered them.
This time the pictures were taken with a daylight bulb – I like them much better this way, but I won’t replace the pictures from the other units already photographed. At least not before all units are finished and I’m going to do a comprehensive review and muster of my then completed British army.
In order to get my 8 units for the British core army, in addition to the 10th brigade I’m also going to do the 5th Brigade at Waterloo. Part of this brigade is the 69th regiment. It has green facings and while I couldn’t find any information if it fought in the Peninsula it certainly did so at Waterloo.
As you can see there are no Skirmishers this time – I’m going to concentrate on finishing the units first and will add the skirmishers later.
Talking about personality of units, there were several specific regiments in the akquired collection. So the first thing for me to do was to organize my British core army in order to know which regiments I wanted to use and what units I’ll have to recruit in addition. In the Lasalle Army Builder, the British core consists of 6 infantry units + 1 Battery + 2 more infantry units should the player take the role of attacker. That is for the 100 days theatre, to which I was obligated by the available figures.I think I’ll do another army for the peninsula, but that is a project for the future.
A unit has 4 bases of 6 figures each and a base width of 5cm. The depth is not specified in the rules, so I used 3,75cm as an extrapolation from the 15mm measures. That way the formations look the same in both scales. A unit has 24 figures, with the option to present further figures as skirmishers in loose order. While there is no fixed definition in the rules, this way a unit equals round about a batallion. With the British I learned it also equals a regiment, because some regiments only had one batallion while others had more than one but these where not appointed to the same theaters of war.
One of the existing units was the 27th Inniskillings, an irish regiment that fought as well in the peninsula as in Waterloo. It has buff facings. I decided to keep it as 27th and also do the other regiments of the 10th Brigade at Waterloo the 27th was in (see http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/British_Order_of_Battle_WATERLOO.html). While rebasing it I not only painted some figures to complete the required poses but also did some head-swaps: In the original collection there was a mixture of Belgish and Peninsula-Shakos. While I liked the look of it, I was told by many people (didn’t I say it) that there is a greater uniformity to be expected and the Peninsula Shako was only used by the 28th (which I’m going to field, too).
Here now is the finished regiment in line…
in attack column…
and in square.
Also a detail-shot of the command group – you can see here that with the command base I have deviated from the 6 figures to a base – rule. I really like it better that way, it doesn’t look so crowded.